Discussion Questions for Book Clubs
Despite all the reading I do on my own, there are so many wonderful writers that I never would have been introduced to without my book club. I have been in the same book club for over thirty years. We have shared the currents and tsunamis of our lives, as good friends do, and we keep reading through it all. I encourage everyone to join a book club.
- This is a collection of “linked” short stories. How is this structure different from a novel? Have you read other linked collections? Do they operate in the same fashion? In what ways does the structure aid in the storytelling of Genuine’s life?
- In the first story, Possum Days, how do you receive the news that Genuine is a healer? Is this the main theme of this story? If not, what is?
- In “The Healer,” Genuine’s parents are bewildered by her unsubstantiated claims of special powers. How does it affect the relationship between Bo and Sheila? How would you react in a similar situation?
- Discuss Lillian’s relationship with Alejandro. What were the perceived cultural prohibitions of their era? How have times changed? How was Lillian’s relationship with Fred impacted?
- What are Genuine’s major struggles with her ability?
- We often think of mystical powers and spirituality as inseparable. How has The Genuine Stories changed your views? Or if not, why?
- Discuss in which ways non-mystical power is examined throughout the collection
- Which is your favorite story and why?
- Which character affected you most?
- If you got the chance to ask the author of this book one question, what would it be?